Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Little BitE of Heaven

I am ridiculously behind on the "thankful" statements. So I salute the lost days and am resuming today. And I am once again changing it up. Today, I am thankful for creative control over my life in general, but specifically when it comes to cooking. In the past, I have found much passion and success in the kitchen. I adore cooking. I adore food. I think it is beautiful, it tastes delicious, I love to try new food. I am a foody. However I tend to be the type that doesn't follow recipes. I don't follow "rules" in any other facet of my life, so why surrender creative control in the kitchen to a recipe? I love throwing stuff together and enjoying the final result. I have never had a bad experience with this. And a lot of times I will find a recipe that I like, but I will change it up by adding/subtracting ingredients and putting my own spin on it. With that said, yesterday I came across a recipe for a crockpot chicken & stuffing. I don't feel as though I was able to eat my fill of Thanksgiving food this year, since we did not cook at my house, so this sounded delightful. It had me at "stovetop stuffing". The recipe was ridiculously simple, only 4 ingredients I believe. I immediately began to come up with things to add, things that would enhance it, things I loved to eat. The finished result was b-e-a-utiful and delicious, as well as deliciously BAD for you. But it was just the comfort food that I was craving. 

Here is my rendition of Chicken & Stuffing:

4 Chicken Breasts (though in my case, my Kroger sucks ass, so I used about 6 thin-sliced chicken breasts)
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 - 3/4 Cup Sour Cream (I leaned toward 3/4. I also think cream cheese would taste AMAZING)
1 Box Stovetop Stuffing (I used the Savory Herbs flavor)
1/2 Can of Sweet Kernel Corn (My addition)
4 Slices Swiss Cheese (Or however many it takes to cover the top of the chicken. ALSO my addition)


I poured some of the juice from the corn in the bottom of the crockpot. 
Place the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot. 
Pour corn around chicken.
Place swiss cheese on top of chicken to cover it.
Pour dry stuffing mix on top of everything.
Mix cream of chicken, sour cream, and 1/4 Cup water
Pour mixture over stuffing.
Crank the crockpot to "low" for about 3.5 hours.

SO good on a cold and dreary day.

No comments:

Post a Comment